Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays

Cooking is quickly becoming one of my most favorite things to do. This summer my cute husband surprised me with a bunch of cooking classes that I have been loving!

Here are some of the fun recipes I've learned-

Caprese Salad

Now I know this is a very common thing but the way it was served in one of my classes was the prettiest and best tasting way I've had it done.













One small package red cherry/grape tomatoes halfed
One small package yellow cherry tomatoes halfed
Fresh basil
8 oz fresh mozzarella PEARLS
Chopped garlic
1-2 shallots very thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

You can serve this on a loaf of yummy toasted chibata bread or just as a salad which is my favorite with bread on the side.

I've had caprese a lot of different ways but this is my new favorite. The different colors and the small size tomatoes and mozzarella are so pretty. I also think they taste better than big tomatoes and regular fresh mozzarella chopped up. The pearls just melt in your mouth. The shallot was also an awesome addition that I hadn't had before.

My first class was taught by a girl that just got back from Greece and Italy. She gave us some really awesome food but probably my favorite thing was also the most basic thing we had.

There's not even a name for it













Plain Greek yogurt
Honey- the real stuff is best but I found that pretty much anything tastes fine
Your favorite nut- almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc. Pecans are my ultimate favorite

This is SO tasty and makes a really great breakfast or quick snack. I also like to think that it is really healthy if you don't go crazy on the honey and get fat free yogurt which of course probably doesn't taste quite as good.

Avocado Dip














This dip is quite possibly mine and Brady's new favorite dip. The picture doesn't do it justice. I didn't learn it from a cooking class either but from my friend Jessica Omer.

You should all be very grateful that I'm sharing this with you because it is so delicious AND so easy. In fact, I hope Jessica won't be mad that I am exposing this secret because we take great satisfaction from it being deceivingly simple.

One can black eyed peas
One can white "shoepeg" corn- mini or regular
Chopped red onion
Avocados about 3 (more than I did in the picture)
Italian salad dressing- to desired wetness
Salt and pepper- maybe some garlic salt

...that's it. Serve it on a pretty dish with some lovely garnish and people will think its more gourmet than it really is because it tastes so good. When Jessica made this for me I sat there guessing all the things that might be in it- lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, oregano?? Nope, Walmart Italian dressing.

1 comment: