Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Summer Reads

Now that I am officially graduated I finally have had some time to read a few books this summer! Here are the books I read and what I thought about them-

These is My Words

I absolutely loved this book. It was recommended to me by my sister who says it is her new FAVORITE book. I don't know if I would call it my favorite book but I did really enjoy reading it and finished it in about two days.

It is one of those "everything books" that combines history, adventure, hardship, happiness, and an awesome romance.

After I finished it I went back and reread my favorite parts several times. I definitely recommend it!

Sarah's Quilt

Sarah's Quilt is the sequel to These is my Words. Some people think it is even better than the first one. I loved These is my Words a little more but still really liked this book. As far as sequels go I'm not usually a huge fan but this one was really well done. It is almost like one big book split into two the way the story picks right up in a good spot and reads the same way.

I also love stories from different time periods so if you're like me, you will really like these two books. It made me realize how blessed we are to have all that we do now and really admire the strength of those pioneers and settlers. I also loved the meaning behind the title. If you read These is My Words you have to read Sarah's quilt after!

The Rescue

WARNING: Beware Nicholas Sparks lovers.

I did NOT like this book. I have never read any of his books before but I liked the movies I've seen that were done of his books (The Notebook, Dear John, Walk to Remember) so I was excited to read it. I got about half way and had to skim the rest which was still a waste of time.

I have decided that either this book was a major flop compared to his other books or the movies made from his books are better then the actual novels. Yes, I know that it says right there on the cover "#1 Bestseller" which to me must confirm that this hurried, unfulfilling love is what people now days actually like.

I'm sure that reading this book right after These is My Words also added to my dislike since it was especially cheap in comparison to that extremely wholesome AND juicy couple from a forgotten time.

What I'm reading now:

Can you believe I have not ever read the book or watched the movie Gone with the Wind? As a lover of Romantic Period movies and the Civil War, I simply don't know how this one slipped through the cracks or how I never had to read it for a class. There's no excuse really.

These is My Words was said to be like a mix of Little House on the Prairie and Gone with The Wind which is what made me think it was about time I read this book.

I am only several chapters into it but really like it so far. Scarlett was really buggin' at first but I think she might grow on me, especially if some studly guy can put her in her place a little.

This one will probably take me longer to finish now that summer is over but I would love some recommendations of other good books to read after so please share!

1 comment:

  1. I will definantly have to read some of those books! Gone with the wind is a classic, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete